Are you tired of feeling you “ruined your diet” when you ate out? I understand. I have felt that way many times. The good news is I have the solution! The #1 thing you should do when you eat out, is to order your food your way. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Why not give it a try?
Read below for healthy restaurant eating tips:
Start Simple: Dressings and sauces on the side.
- Order salad dressing on the side.
- Order any sauce on the side.
- Use dressing and sauces very sparingly.
Order burgers “bunless” & choose vegetables instead of fries.
- Order your burger without a bun.
- Request a vegetable instead of fries. Be aware there may be an extra charge for the substitution.
- Why not get the bun and simply not eat it? How about only eating one or two fries? For me—once I eat one or two fries—I will eat them all. Getting a bun that will just go in the trash seems wasteful. The solution is simple—I simply order my food my way.
Review the menu to see if there are other “bun” options.
- This “bunless” burger is wrapped in collard greens. It was delicious.
- Instead of fries, I asked for a green vegetable.
- There was an extra charge for the asparagus, which I understood.
Many times lettuce wraps are available—just ask for your food your way.
- I like fish tacos. I enjoy the fish and the taco filling a lot.
- Recently, I decided I would order fish tacos, my way.
- Instead of the taco I substituted lettuce. The dish had the flavor and filling of a fish taco, but was “wrapped” in lettuce.
- It was delicious.
- I have also had fajitas with lettuce used as the wrap.
- Remember, even if lettuce is not listed on the menu as a wrap option—simply ask if the kitchen can do this.
- Order your food, your way.
Be very specific when you order breakfast your way.
- Breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day.
- My way is no toast, and no potatoes.
- My way is to always ask for sliced tomatoes. I find most restaurants generally have sliced tomatoes available at breakfast time.
Consider a salad instead of potatoes.
- Instead of potatoes, another great option to consider is a salad.
When ordering a main dish, instead of a starch ask for double vegetable.
- Instead of potatoes or rice, simply ask for a double vegetable.
Always check out the “sides” section of the menu.
- I sometimes will order “sides” instead of a main dish.
Ordering your food your way, will help you not ruin your diet when dining out. Be creative. The more you do this, the easier it becomes. Give it a try!